Chapel On The Dunes - Port Aransas, TX - Mustang Island - 207 11th Street, Port Aransas, TX, 78373






 
High on a sand dune overlooking the Gulf of Mexico in Port Aransas, there is a little white Chapel, the oldest consecrated church on the Island. 

Known as the Chapel on the Dunes, it was built in the 1930’s by Aline Carter who was called the “White Angel” because of her flowing, white organdy dresses and loving service to the community.  After Sunday School every week, Mrs. Carter served ice cream and cake to the Island children who were enchanted by the White Angel, her Bible stories, and the delicious desserts which followed.
Mrs. Carter used the Chapel for meditation and inspiration for her poetry books, following the publication of which, she was named Poet Laureate of Texas.  Her books, Halo of Love and Doubt Not the Dream, are in the Ellis Memorial Library in downtown Port Aransas.  A native of San Antonio, Mrs. Carter, her husband, and three sons, were some of the first families to spend their summers on the Island.   The Carter Family still owns the Chapel and her son, Frank Carter, lives on the property.

Aline Carter opened “pathways to higher thought” for all who knew her.  A teacher of astronomy, a poet, an artist, a woman dedicated to helping those of many faiths, Mrs. Carter had a deep concern for all humanity.  The intensity of her faith can be felt by all who enter the Chapel on the Dunes.
The Carter Family